Journey of Sona Comstar
· Incorporation of the Company as Sona Okegawa Precision Forgings Ltd. a JV with Mitsubishi Metal Corporation Limited.
· Commenced production of differential bevel gears at our first plant in Gurugram, Haryana, India.
· Launched a manufacturing plant in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
· Launched a manufacturing plant in Pune, Maharashtra, India.
· Sona Autocomp Holding Private Limited becomes a majority shareholder in the Company.
· Acquired Thyssen Krupp’s precision forging business (which had previously acquired the company BLW, the inventor of Warm Forging Technology).
· The Company is renamed as “Sona BLW Precision Forgings Limited".
· Launched final assembly and finishing plant in Tecumseh, MI, USA.
· Awarded “North American OEM of Pv's and CV's World Excellence Award (Silver)”.
· Launched final assembly and finishing plant in China.
· Awarded “North American OEM of Pv's and CV's World Excellence Award (Gold)”.
· JM Financial Trustee invested in the Company.
· Termination of the technical know-how agreement with Mitsubishi Metal Corporation Limited and Metal One Corporation Limited.
· Commencement of operations at two new plants Unit II & Unit III, located in Gurugram, Haryana, India.
· Launched final assembly and finishing plant in Mexico, North America.
· Acquisition of new land for a second plant in Chakan, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
· Signing of SSSPA and SHA in relation to the investment by Singapore Topco in the Company. Singapore Topco is an affiliate of The Blackstone Group Inc.
· Awarded contract for Differential Assembly supply by a renowned Global Electric Vehicle Manufacturer.
· Completion of closing of transactions with Singapore Topco as contemplated under the SSSPA and SHA.
· Acquisition of the Comstar Entities.
· Adopted “Sona Comstar” as the brand name.
· Commencement of operations at our new differential assembly plant located in Manesar, Haryana, India.
· Vehicle level trials for BSG (Belt Starter Generator) completed with an OEM.· Achieved a production milestone of 250 Million Gears.· Awarded contracts for BLDC (Brush Less Direct Current) motor supply by two Indian Electric 2 Wheeler Manufacturers.
· Listed on the Indian Stock Exchanges.
The journey of the company started in 1995 as Sona Okegawa Precision Forgings, which was a 75:25 joint venture between the Sona Group and Mitsubishi Materials and the pioneer of warm forged near net-shaped gears manufacturing technology. The Sona Group, after acquiring Thyssen Krupp’s forging business (which acquired BLW, the inventor of warm forging) and 25% stake of Mitsubishi, renamed the company to Sona BLW Precision Forgings, which became the largest manufacturer of forged gears. In 2019, Sona BLW acquired Comstar Automotive, a leading designer and manufacturer of starting and charging systems for automobiles, and created a new identity.
We have nine manufacturing and assembly facilities across India, China, Mexico and USA, of which six manufacturing facilities are located in India. Our facilities in Chennai, China, Mexico and USA focus on production of our electrical business products and the other facilities in India are focused on production of our driveline business products. While our facilities in India are manufacturing plants, the facilities in US, Mexico and China operate as satellite final assembly and finishing plants.
Interactive Map has information for each location, please refer to the working link.